There are two basic types of blogs in this crossover, character-specific and general. If you have a blog devoted to one character/team/family, the odds favor your gearing your entry in this event toward them. For instance, every year I submit 365 posts related to the Martian Manhunter in some way on The Idol-Head of Diabolu, so it makes sense for me to do a Manhunter-themed trivia quiz. I can easily search through my old posts, find references to most of the characters on our list, and gear a question toward them. On the other hand, random picture day doesn't even typically feature text of any kind, outside a name for that day's post. It might be better served by a picture puzzle that somehow links outside that blog. Girls Gone Geek just got started, so they only have a handful of posts available on a variety of topics. What should they do?
"The DC Challenge" isn't just the name of this crossover, and it isn't only posed to the readership of our blogs. I'm challenging you to come up with something that ties into the premise of our blog event, links to other participating blogs, and maintains the personal vision of your blog. For instance, when is evil cool? focuses mostly on movies and personal anecdotes by its author. wiec? is representing for Sgt. Rock in our crossover, a comic book character who, to my knowledge, has never been so much as mentioned on that blog. However, wiec? has discussed other rugged comic characters like Jonah Hex, and spoke of action movies like The Warriors at length. So, last I heard, wiec? will feature a trivia quiz about action movies, or whatever else it feels like doing, so long as it links out to the rest of our blogs. One possibility for random picture day is to code up a Java-enabled virtual jigsaw puzzle of another blog's character, or run a series of pictures and ask which character's mugshot would logically appear next, or something else entirely.
The idea is to give everyone a chance to have fun and be creative, while encouraging new readers to spend some time on your blog. I'm here to provide all the essential art, coordinate everyone's efforts, offer suggests, and even write your blog post for you from scratch if you want to "take the day off" and let the event play through. I'm also working on a "How To" section to help bloggers craft their own "challenge."
I want this to be a good time for all involved, and I hope folks see other benefits besides. I'll support as best as I possibly can, and wish everyone the best as they pursue the DC Challenge!
Saturday, December 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment